Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My Blog Pick Wednesday! UnMasked by Walking Redeemed.org

Kasey’s blog is talking about being unmasked and in the blog she revisits an encounter at the gas pump with a stranger. Kasey states, “She showed me that we can throw on any outward garb that tickles our fancy on a given day, but it doesn't change who we are on the inside.” As I read that sentence, tears filled my eyes. Why? Because I use to be that woman not too long ago.


Growing up in a Christian home, I always felt loved but confused by masked Christianity. At an early age, I knew of the women in my church whose husbands cheated on them with prostitutes on a weekly basis. I not only knew, but the church family also knew and everyone continued to smile and ignore the hurt around them. As a grown up, I realized that most of the Christian women who are always dressed up in the newest fashions are actually hiding the pain they face as moms and wives. After having my now 2 year old son, I joined that “masked” Christian group of women.

About 6 weeks after delivering my son, I started dressing up a lot more, exercising excessively to lose my weight and getting involved in extra curricula activities. I did all of this because there is a saying, “if you look good you feel good,” and I wanted to believe that things would change if I started changing my outward appearance. I wanted to believe that I would feel better about my anxious feelings and post baby body. Well, things did change  for the worst, because the young mothers who were once my close friends, started to show extreme jealously toward me and treated me like an outsider, all because of my outward appearance and because they thought I had it ALL together.

Do you think that as women we place too much pressure on each other? I do! It is true that God looks at the heart but as women, we must admit, that we look at the outward appearance.  Let us try to look at the heart of a woman, the next time we feel jealous, because she may be “masking” pain. As Kasey stated in her blog, “who we are without the mask is what really matters.”

Read her full blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment