Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Listen, observe and then speak!

Hi to my friends at time-warp wife.blogspot, I look forward to our Titus 2sday Link Up Party!

 Last weekend I had a rare chance to sit down and watch a movie I rented from Redbox. A Thousand Words is a movie starring Jack (Eddie Murphy) who has a problem we all have at times and that is, talking too much. Jack's (Eddie Murphy’s) life comes unglued after a magical Bodhi tree mysteriously appears in his backyard. With every word Jack speaks, a leaf falls from the tree and he realizes that when the last leaf falls, both he and the tree are toast. To sum it all up Jack (Eddie Murphy), had to learn to talk less and listen more.

The Message Bible says in James 1:19, “Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear.” With our busy lives it is sometimes frustrating to listen to what someone is saying without interrupting or interjecting. I sometimes say, "I have stuff to do, get to the point."


Do you say that same thing sometimes? Looking back, I can't imagine how I make my husband and child feel. I forget that life is not all about me. Taking time for others is what we are called to do.  My new motto: Listen, observe and then speak!

How will you take time to listen to others this week?

Challenge:
Can you join me for one week and try to talk less and listen more? 

No comments:

Post a Comment